Am I eligible to use this service?
People need to be present to have their income tax returns completed. For example, in the case of couples, both partners need to be present, and in the case of any children who are earning an income, those children need to be present.
Each clinic has specific eligibility criteria based upon income level and place of residence. Please review the clinic description carefully.
Volunteers cannot help with income tax returns IF YOU:
- Are filing a pre/post bankruptcy return
- Are filing a deceased return
- Are self-employed
- Have employment expenses
- Have income sources that include capital gains, farming income, commission income, investment income over $1,000, professional/business income, or rental income
- Other complex tax returns
The volunteers trained by Canada Revenue Agency follow these guidelines:
- Single Person with income below $35,000
- Two person household (single parent or married/common-law couple) with income below $45,000
- Add $2,500 to threshold for each additional dependent
Don't miss out
Need Help Finding Benefits?
Answer questions to get a customized list of benefits for which you may be eligible. The following sites may suggest benefits from federal, provincial or territorial governments, and do not collect or track your information. The more questions you answer, the more customized your results will be.
Government of Canada Benefits Finder
Hamiltontaxhelp.ca is funded by